Author Topic: My novel, although not completely written  (Read 42533 times)

dwunderlin

• I love to write anything, except poetry!
    • View Profile
My novel, although not completely written
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:13 am »
Hello,

I am writing a novel that I started at Eastern Connecticut State University. My professor gave the class a writing prompt where we had to use the phrase, "The truth of the matter is." I wrote a story about an old man, Norland, who visits his lifelong friend, Royal, on his deathbed. Royal's grandson is in the room with his grandfather and Norland tells the boy a story about an adventure involving a plane crash that he and Royal had when they were young men. The story was well received so my professor encouraged me to continue the story. The following week I wrote about how Norland and Royal met as boys in rural Alabama in the spring of 1945. This too was well received so my professor encouraged me to continue the story, which I did through an independent study with her during the fall 2015 semester. The story chronicles the lives of these two men from the time they were boys until Royal passes in the near present day. The adventures include mischief as the two grow into adulthood, their college lives and marriages. A plane crash while working as relief workers, a run-in with the KKK in Birmingham during the civil rights years, and Royal's struggles with injuries sustained in the crash including a trip to the mountains of Peru and the deserts of New Mexico to seek treatments from Shamen and Indian healers. So far, I have roughly written 9 chapters and I  am working to finish the rest of the story, but as we all know, life can, and does, get in the way.
I have no platform. I retired from the Naval submarine service in 2007 and just graduated from school last month with a major in accounting and a minor in writing. I live to write. Accounting pays the bills and feeds my family, but writing is what I love to do. I enjoy writing so much that I even found it rewarding to write my accounting research papers while in school. If anyone is interested in reading any of my writing, I would be happy to share a short story that I wrote in my fiction writing class, or a chapter or section of the novel that I am writing.
I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions from anyone who is willing to give them to me. Thank you for reading.
Write everyday, whatever you can, whenever you can

Stacey Cochran

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Stacey's Website
Re: My novel, although not completely written
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »
If anyone is interested in reading any of my writing, I would be happy to share a short story that I wrote in my fiction writing class, or a chapter or section of the novel that I am writing.
I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions from anyone who is willing to give them to me. Thank you for reading.

It sounds like a really good story. Feel free to post a sample in the "Post a Sample Forum" here: http://howtopublishabook.org/smf1/index.php/board,13.0.html

Welcome to the site!